Starting to look back


The idea behind this blog is just to keep track of the embroidery I've been making in the last three or four years. And yes, that includes 2020 and the pandemic period. Mostly, I've been embroidering thread painting style and cross stitch, although I can remember a stumpwork or two as well.

My experience with embroidery goes back to my childhood and I don't think that my taste has changed much along the years. I started with cross stitch, mostly because I wanted to copy my Mum and my Aunt, who were always doing some cross stitch, especially during summer vacations. 

Nowadays, I still like cross stitch, but much prefer thread painting, mainly because I can create what I want easily and with my own designs. Technically, I could create cross stitch designs, but there's always the issue of having to use Aida cloth or some kind of counted fabric, which limits the options.

The peacock of the photo was embroidered in 2020 and it's probably the favourite thing I've ever made. I've used very cheap felt as the base and at the end I transformed it in a badge style embroidery. And I'm very glad I did it, because the initial plan was to put it on a green velvet blazer, but at the end I didn't like the way the peacock would cover some details of the blazer, so the badge gave me the option of use the peacock in various ways along the years, including wall art.

Comments